[FFmpeg-user] Compilation Guide / MSVC on Wiki

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Wed Dec 2 19:43:15 EET 2020

 Hi folks
Just to throw a further spanner in the works, this may be well known, but it's worth saying anyway.
There's a pretty large difference between compiling "ffmpeg" and the "ffmpeg" that you will get from, say, a website that offers a binary.
The very basic core of ffmpeg is probably not very useful to most people in 2020. Lots of the things people think of as features of ffmpeg are dependent on extra libraries, so once you have created a build environment capable of building the core, you then have to add on all that stuff. This can get very, very, very complicated.
I've been able to compile the basic version under minGW, but not more than that.
    On Wednesday, 2 December 2020, 17:36:51 GMT, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

 On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 4:32 AM hinderanyoption81 via ffmpeg-user
<ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> Upon reading the "Compilation Guide / MSVC on Wiki", I am confused about at least three issues.
> 1. The Guide starts with a sentence "FFmpeg can be built on Windows with Visual Studio", and then it says:
>
> Finally, run: For MSVC:
> ./configure --toolchain=msvc
> make
> make install
>
> First, this is a Unix command that will not run on Windows. Second, does "make" refer to a Windows make.exe or a Unix make.exe, and where is that file located?
>
> 2. The Guide says that "www.mingw.org" is a prerequisite. Their web installer at osdn.net/projects/mingw/downloads/68260/mingw-get-setup.exe doesn't work (I get error messages like

The point of mingw is to have access to all those essential Unix
commands, even though you're on Windows. So the key here is to get
mingw successfully installed. I can't help with the specifics there,
but that's definitely what needs to happen.

ChrisA