[FFmpeg-user] Public FFmpeg Docker images built with GitHub Actions

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Thu Dec 10 19:13:37 EET 2020

On 12/9/2020 8:04 PM, Lingjiang Fang wrote:
>> re: performance, I ran one very unscientific timing comparison of the
>> Docker version vs. my brew-installed ffmpeg (on macOS);

> The two ffmpeg binaries you used maybe different versions with different
> configure options, so I think it makes no sense to do such a
> comparison unless you can confirm they are binary-match.

Ryan -does- say it's an unscientific comparison. That aside, anything which
adds stages to an execution pipeline is going to, overall, slow down that
execution (it certainly can't speed it up).

In my limited experience, I (that is me, not anyone else) find that docker
adds layers of complexity, especially when I'm not already using docker for
anything. OTOH, I find that building ffmpeg isn't that much of a hassle,
even on windoze. Different paths for different people.

z!