[FFmpeg-user] What does -write_xing 0 do?

Tobias Rapp t.rapp at noa-archive.com
Wed Dec 16 10:15:52 EET 2020

On 14.12.2020 01:52, MediaMouth wrote:
> The -write_xing 0 option seems to be fixing it.  I'm curious what it's actually doing.
> What was the issue to begin with / what problem is it solving?
> Is it doing other things to the converted file that might be worth knowing about?  Any down sides to using it?

The Xing tag allows players to do more precise seeking within variable
bitrate MPEG files. It can also contain some other information like the
encoder version (LAME).

See also:
https://www.codeproject.com/articles/8295/mpeg-audio-frame-header#XINGHeader

If your MP3 file uses constant bitrate it should be fine to disable the
Xing/Info tag.

Regards,
Tobias