[FFmpeg-user] Ffmpeg (exe) for large video edits?

amindfv at mailbox.org amindfv at mailbox.org
Sun Dec 20 22:06:25 EET 2020

Does anyone use ffmpeg (the executable, not the library) for large video edits? I can imagine taking an edit decision list and translating it to a giant filter graph of trims and concats, but I haven't seen this done. Is that because it's an awkward tool for the job? Or is there some upper limit where it stops being practical (e.g. on the number of input videos or filter graph size or something)? Or do people do this regularly and I just haven't seen it?

In particular, I'm wondering about generating around an hour of video from hundreds of input clips.

I realize there are other tools for the job (e.g. MLT), but I wonder what people have done with ffmpeg alone.

Thanks,
Tom