[FFmpeg-user] Concat filter with more than 1 audio stream -- How?

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 13:22:18 EET 2020

On 02/24/2020 05:50 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am Mo., 24. Feb. 2020 um 01:45 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:
>>
>> On 02/23/2020 07:05 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

>>> Better use "cat" to concatenate transport streams if you don't
>>> want to re-encode.
>>
>> I'm just trying to find WHAT WORKS.
>
> If you want to concatenate mpeg streams, use "cat" (or "copy /b" on windows)

If I understand correctly, you think I should do this:

copy /b
i:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_1.VOB+i:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_2.VOB+i:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_3.VOB+i:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_4.VOB+i:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_5.VOB

What would the output be? How could I ever insert chapters & subtitles
into it? I need to eventually get an MKV, I think.

>> In this case, WHAT WORKS is the above.
>
> Sorry, I was under the impression you posted here because you expect
> us to know more about it than you do.

By "WHAT WORKS is the above", I refer to this:

ffmpeg -i "concat:input1.ts|input2.ts|input3.ts" -c copy output.ts

which is from the wiki, not from me. I tested it and it works, however,
output.ts has only 1 audio stream while the inputs have 4 audio streams.
That's why I ask "Concat filter with more than 1 audio stream -- How?"

You tell me that I'm trying to use a concat protocol. How would I know
that?

> Please ignore my answers if I misunderstood.

I would never ignore your answers. But sometimes, I have difficulty
understanding them. ...my fault, I'm sure.

>> I tried making the output 'n:\output.mkv' but ffmpeg complained.
>> Eventually I want to convert the TS container to MKV, but first, I need
>> to get all the audio tracks into the TS container.
>>
>>> (You are missing -map 0 but this is not the best solution for
>>> your issue.)
>>
>> ?
>
> You are missing -map 0 but if you want to concatenate (and not
> re-encode) than you should not use FFmpeg.

I give... What do you mean? I should not use ffmpeg?

> Note that I am not suggesting you use the filter, for mpeg streams, you
> should use the protocol, it is (much) simpler.

I should not use ffmpeg, but I should use the protocol? Now I'm totally
mystified.