[FFmpeg-user] List server 'myposts on' fails to echo my own posts

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Mon Feb 24 18:20:58 EET 2020

On 2/24/2020 6:55 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Briefly back on topic: I subscribe to all my mailing lists
> with two different gmail addresses. One of which I send
> mail with (but tell the mailing list manager never to
> deliver mail to) and one which I subscribe to the list
> on (but never send mail with).

OK.... useful info. This also means that the problem is not getting "your
posts back", which implies coming back to the _sending_ address, but getting
posts you sent to -another- gmail address (a -very- different thing in email
delivery).

Sounds like you're using two mailboxes for precisely the reason I mentioned.

Could be delivery is disabled somehow by mailman.
Could be guugle is dumping them.
You seem to point to the ffmpeg list on the only evidence that the moz lists
don't have this problem.

At this point, the only way to know is a somewhat detailed analysis of
messages/headers and for some directed/controlled testing and with the
involvement of whoever is maintaining the ffmpeg lists (which isn't me).
Anything else is blind conjecture.

Note-
Take a good look at the Message-ID fields of original sent message and ones
received (you may need also a non-gmail box to catch them). It the ID is
unchanged, then it's more likely that goog will drop the message*, if
they've changed then something is improperly monkeying with them.

*anecdotal evidence suggests that if guug even things two mailboxes are used
by one person, they will drop what they consider dups

Yes, IMNSHO rudeness is never appropriate here; Reindl has never cared about
that.

z!