[FFmpeg-user] concat protocol - 3 objectives

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 10:32:48 EET 2020

On 02/24/2020 11:59 PM, Carl Zwanzig wrote:
> On 2/24/2020 4:29 PM, Mark Filipak wrote:
>> Regarding Objective 3: Though a subtitle stream is not reported, the 5
>> concatenated sources do have subtitles. However, I think I have to get
>> a matroska container working before attempting to include the
>> subtitles, so this objective will have to wait.
>
> Just confirming-
>
> You're aware that dvd subtitles are actually overlay images, not encoded
> text?

Yes, and I've yet to find a sub-extractor that works well. If I can
extract to SUP, then I can use bdsup2sub++ to convert to SUB and not
have to deal with text recognition. I like the results of bdsup2sub++,
but extracting to SUP is ...problematic. It seems you have a good handle
on the issue. Do you have any suggestions? I've tried SubRip and
DVDSubEdit but each has shortcomings.

> Also, consider adding a long -analyzeduration and -probesize, unless the
> subtitle stream start quickly, the default values won't find it/them.
> (I've had movies where the subs started at least 60-80 seconds into the
> content.) I'd start with at least 500M, and if that doesn't immediately
> turn up the subs stream, double until it does.

Thank you for that great tip. My test title has closed captions that
start right away -- intro/credits song lyrics -- but actual subtitles
don't begin until over 2 minutes running time.

> I'm curious about this-
> [mpeg @ 0000023c731a9000] New subtitle stream 0:6 at pos:116221966 and
> DTS:120.328speed=12.9x
> frame=159684 fps=2310 q=-1.0 Lsize= 4048589kB time=01:43:54.17

I noticed that too, but didn't know what to make of it.

>    that says the subtitles didn't start very well into the content,
> probably into file 3 or 4 (?). Is it possible that not all streams were
> copied when the vob files were collected?

I'm working with an mounted ISO. The ISO was made via AnyDVD HD. I have
a lot of faith in that program.

> FWIW, I've had very good luck ripping dvds with "dvddecrypter"; it's
> still available on the 'net and will output a single file with all
> streams if that's what you want.

Thanks! I'll give it a look.

> Later,
>
> z!