[FFmpeg-user] abort and missing SIGABRT handling

Mircea Carausu mircea.carausu at broadcom.com
Thu Feb 27 10:35:12 EET 2020

Hello,
I noticed av_asser0 macro is extensively used in ffmpeg code... simple grep
returns some 11xx hits.
Inside this macro abort() call is used.
Two questions in my mind:
1. why abort() and not exit() with a err code (i.e. EXIT_FAILURE)
2, if we trigger abort purposely, why not have a signal handler for it and
do proper flushing cleanup upon exception detection? Seems SIGABRT (a POSIX
signal) does not currently have any handler in ffmpeg.

I am sure there are reasons, I am just eager to find reasons behind this...

Thank you,
Mircea