[FFmpeg-user] Current state of DTS "Master Audio" decoding?

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 18:44:31 EET 2020

There's a lot of conflicting information out there on this subject.
Most of what I've seen indicates that FFmpeg is only able to decode the
lossy "core" component of DTS-HD-MA streams.

But then there's dcadec[1].  Its README indicates that it is able to
decode the lossless master audio streams, and that it has been "fully
integrated" into FFmpeg.

Can anyone clarify exactly what this means?  When decoding DTS-HD-MA
audio does FFmpeg automatically decode the lossless stream, or do I have
to somehow tell it to do so?  Are any particular configure options or
libraries required to enable lossless decoding?

Thanks!

[1] https://github.com/foo86/dcadec