[FFmpeg-user] Submitting a Feature Request

Chris c319chris at aol.com
Tue Jan 21 22:35:02 EET 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com>
To: FFmpeg user questions <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Tue, Jan 21, 2020 11:03 am
Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-user] Submitting a Feature Request

Am Di., 21. Jan. 2020 um 19:33 Uhr schrieb Chris via ffmpeg-user
<ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org>:

> FILE *pipein = popen("ffmpeg -i C0015.MP4 -f image2pipe -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb24 -s 1280x720 -", "r");
> FILE *pipeout = popen("ffmpeg -y -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb24 -s 1280x720 -r 59.94 -i - -f mp4 -q:v 5 -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb24  -an  output.avi", "w");

(Complete, uncut console output missing)
Which of those two commands (why are there two?) changes the video level?
I don't think they are supposed to change the level...

Carl Eugen
My last message contained a comment line which explains why there are two command lines:

// Open an input pipe from ffmpeg and an output pipe to a second instance of ffmpeg

One is an input pipe for reading video frames; the other is an output pipe for writing video frames.

The output pipe is the one modifying the video levels I have written in the C program.

out_range=full causes ffmpeg to force video levels to 0 - 255.

out_range=tv causes ffmpeg to force video levels to 16 - 235.

I want an option for ffmpeg to leave the video levels alone: out_range=unity. How do I submit this feature request?