[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe bug in 'interlaced_frame'?

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 23:04:37 EET 2020

Am So., 26. Jan. 2020 um 22:00 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
<markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:

> On 01/26/2020 03:50 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Am So., 26. Jan. 2020 um 21:19 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> > <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:

> >> Yes, ffmpeg does not make soft telecined streams. However, the soft
> >> telecined videos are inputs, not outputs.
> >
> > I don't think FFmpeg "supports" soft-telecined input streams.
> > At least not in the way once opon a time defined in an ancient NTSC
> > standard...
>
> You are confusing soft telecine with hard telecine.

I thought you are...
(hard-telecine encoding and decoding is - of course - supported
by FFmpeg)

> Since autumn 1999, nearly 100% of all region 1 DVDs are
> soft telecined

And such dvds are progressive if you don't watch on an
(American) crt tv ...

> so, of course, ffmpeg supports soft-telecined inputs.

... which you cannot use with FFmpeg - FFmpeg
therefore will ignore soft-telecine (not "support" it).

Carl Eugen