[FFmpeg-user] Causes of color bars?

Simon Roberts simon at dancingcloudservices.com
Tue Jul 14 18:12:18 EEST 2020

OK, thanks, I can see how that would work.

So far as I know, the camera (which is actually a Sony A6000, not really a
video camera :) *only* delivers one format, which is 1920x1080 @59.94
progressive, but I have no clue about its pixels (seems less likely they'd
be configurable than the more obvious choices).

But I suppose the only thing that really matters is what the output of the
splitter is. Any thoughts on how I can probe this? I have a monitor that I
have intermittently connected on the other side of the splitter too--that's
why the splitter is there--and its menu tells me only the resolution and
frame rate info, not pixel type. (but to be clear, it makes no difference
whether that monitor is connected or not)/

Otherwise, I guess I just find out what all the options are and try them
one at a time (or buy a new splitter, which might not be a bad idea
overall!)

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 8:50 AM Devin Heitmueller <
devin.heitmueller at ltnglobal.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:41 AM Simon Roberts
> <simon at dancingcloudservices.com> wrote:
> >
> > Well, I found out more. If I connect the camera to the input through the
> > cabling, but remove the splitter, it works as is, with the command I
> > originally used i.e. autodetecting the Hp59 signal. If I include the
> > splitter, the decklink mediaexpress still works, and indicates 59.94
> > progressive, but ffmpeg doesn't see it.
> >
> > Could the splitter be changing the pixel format? I'll read about those
> and
> > see if I can move forward that way.
>
> So a splitter typically won't change the pixel format, but depending
> on what the splitter's EDID announces to the sender, could result in
> the sender changing what it sends.  So for example, the camera may
> send RGB when directly connected to the Decklink card because the
> Decklink card indicates it supports both YUV and RGB.  But then put
> the splitter in the middle, and the splitter indicates that it only
> supports YUV, and thus the net effect is the camera sending YUV
> instead (which then gets forwarded to the decklink card).
>
> Note, the above scenario is just an example - I don't know what your
> specific splitter actually announces in its EDID, nor what your camera
> supports sending.
>
> Devin
>
> --
> Devin Heitmueller, Senior Software Engineer
> LTN Global Communications
> o: +1 (301) 363-1001
> w: https://ltnglobal.com  e: devin.heitmueller at ltnglobal.com

Simon Roberts