[FFmpeg-user] 'key' frame only decoding

rohit khali khali.rohit at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 15:15:22 EEST 2020

Hi All,

I want to integrate FFMPEG shared libraries in my 'key/I' frames
only' decoder application.

Will it be possible to limit decoding to I frames only for various video
codecs (MPEG-2, AVC and HEVC) without modifying FFMPEG code?

As part of initial checks, I came across below command, which seems to be
working however was wondering why '-vsync 0' parameter is needed.

./ffmpeg -skip_frame nokey -i .input.ts -vsync 0 output.yuv

Also in context of HEVC, does "key" frame in above command refer to all 3
IRAP types IDR, CRA, BLA ?

Thanks,

Rohit Khali