[FFmpeg-user] Libavcodec conflicts

gatodiablo at protonmail.com gatodiablo at protonmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:04:18 EEST 2020

So I wanted to install all the extra codecs for ffmpeg. I'm using mint 19. Right away apt tells me Libavcodec-extra57 conflicts with libavcodec57 and libavfilter-extra6 conflicts with libavfilter6. I was able to get it to install by using the force-depends flag but now apt -f install complains that vlc, ffmpeg and celluloid are broken and wants to uninstall them. I checked all of the above programs and they work fine but apts complaining is annoying.

Why are these packages in conflict? Is it recommended to install both side by side? This looks like a common problem from my internet searches. What is the recommended solution?

Sent from ProtonMail mobile