[FFmpeg-user] MPEG2 Profile Options Integer order wrong

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Fri Jun 19 21:03:00 EEST 2020

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Am Mi., 17. Juni 2020 um 01:32 Uhr schrieb Bill Crockett <wsc4 at optusnet.com.au>:
>>
>> https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#mpeg2
>>
>> Who maintains the documentation on the above and how can I contact to ask if it is wrong or correct?
>>
>> 16.15 mpeg2
>>
>> MPEG-2 video encoder.

>> profile integer
>>
>>     Select the mpeg2 profile to encode:
>>
>>     ‘422’
>>     ‘main’
>>     ‘ss’
>>
>>         Spatially Scalable
>>     ‘snr’
>>
>>         SNR Scalable
>>     ‘high’
>>     ‘simple’
>>
>> There are no numbers listed, but my guess is the order as is written and would be "main" = 1 and "high" = 4
>>
>> This is wrong and "high should be 1 and "main" should be 4.
>
> Indeed.
>
> I will wait a few more days and fix it then unless somebody beats me.

You can fix it if you want, but I don't know why anybody assumes that the
order of the options and their integer mapping actually matches? Nothing
says it does, and I bet there are other options where it does not. I think
what confused the user here is that the option is mentioned as an
"integer" option when in fact it is a string option from user point of
view. Maybe we shuld simply remove the <integer> part, so the user can use
the string equivavalent as generally advised.

Regards,
Marton