[FFmpeg-user] RTMP and proxy

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Jun 29 23:26:00 EEST 2020

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 19:23:25 +0200, Verachten Bruno wrote:
> I'm trying to get ffmpeg to use a proxy. Here is my command:
>  ffmpeg -http_proxy "http://192.168.0.217:3128/" -i sample.h264 -c:v
> copy -c:a copy -f flv "rtmp://live-cdg.twitch.tv/app/live_toto"
> -loglevel debug
> Option http_proxy not found.
>
> Why do I get "option http_proxy not found"?

Because you specified it as an option for the input file.

I assume you will get the same error, though, when you "correctly"
place the option before your output URI, because RTMP does not support
this option either. As far as I understand, RTMP is nothing like HTTP,
so an HTTP proxy would be of no use.

Apparently, RTMPT is the protocol that was made for encapsulating RTMP
in HTTP, but then twitch would have to support that too, in order for
it to work for you.

(If you are in an environment with an HTTP proxy but no SOCKS proxy,
and no direct internet access, then this is exactly the sort of thing
they are trying to prevent you doing.)

Cheers,
Moritz