[FFmpeg-user] Development & Support

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Mar 1 02:37:42 EET 2020

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 09:54:30 -0900, Lou Logan wrote:
> Donation of your time is more appreciated than funds. Have you
> considered submitting a patch to improve documentation? As an
> added bonus your name will be associated with the contribution
> within the source code.

While I agree 100 % (nodding my head all the way), I suppose there are
people who have wishes, but cannot contribute themselves (English or
skills too bad for documentation, no sense for testing and debugging,
...).

> If that does not interest you then improving the wiki could be a
> good start. It is intended to supplement the documentation and is
> publicly editable.
>
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/#CommunityContributedDocumentation

Oh yes, I second this. The wiki is perfect for extra explanation,
examples, and so forth! (I haven't actually contributed yet, shame on
me.)

> I don't disagree, but money is not the motivating factor for FFmpeg
> development (or at least it isn't for me despite my finances), so
> nobody has invested the time and energy to better organize
> sponsorship and bounties.

Bounties are one thing. Yet I have had multiple encounters of wishes to
donate. I have always recommended the donation page, hoping it actually
provides useful funds for e.g. travelling (and drinks ;-)), test
hardware, whatever. Just wondering: I there any public tracking of how
funds are used?

> What I would like to see is the project use its funds to pay developers,
> but that's a different discussion.

Interesting!

Thanks and cheers,
Moritz