[FFmpeg-user] Consequences to rude and hostile behaviour

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Sun Mar 1 03:43:31 EET 2020

FFmpeg core contributors:

You are aware that the FFmpeg project includes rude and hostile
behaviour. Some you direct at each other, but some you direct at
newcomers. I received some when I first attempted to contribute to
ffmpeg. I have seen some on the ffmpeg-users and ffmpeg-dev lists.

Case in point: On 2020-02-29 17:27, the very perceptive Mark Filipak wrote:
 > I would like to donate documentation work, but there's issues:
 > …2, I fear that asking questions here will aggravate folks…
 > …3, … perhaps I can get guidance without resentment.

This behaviour has consequences. It makes possible contributors less
likely to turn their good intentions into patches to the code and
documentation of ffmpeg. The next time you core contributors ponder how
to improve this project, and to get some of its load off your shoulders,
you might want to consider that.

Best regards,
      —Jim "I'm going to work on something more gratifying than an
ffmpeg patch this afternoon" DeLaHunt

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953