[FFmpeg-user] How do I create an ffmpeg command line?

Michael Koch astroelectronic at t-online.de
Sun Mar 1 11:49:06 EET 2020

Am 01.03.2020 um 10:16 schrieb Mark Filipak:
> On 03/01/2020 03:55 AM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
>> On 3/1/20, Mark Filipak <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have been looking for months, on and off. Is there any place that
>>> shows how to form a working ffmpeg command line? I'm trying to figure
>>> out how to use a fieldmatch filter.
>>>

>> There is clear documentation explanation for using this and other
>> filters.
>
> Well, there's no examples and no top-level templates showing how to
> form a command line, at least none that I've found.
>
> What I've concluded from what I've read (and seen on this list):
>
> 'ffmpeg [gen_opts] [in_opts] -i <infile> [out_opts] <outfile>'
>
> And I've read about filter graphs of course, but it's awfully cryptic
> and there's no use examples. I know that filter invocation involves
> operators such as '[x:y]' but I've not figured out what they symbolize
> and how to use them in a command line -- I've tried dozens and dozens
> of hacks.
>
> The wiki just shows pieces of things, not how to form a command.
>
> Of course, if you have a link, that would suffice. I'm awfully
> frustrated.

In my opinion it's best to begin with a working example (even if this
example doesn't do what you want) and then modify the example step by
step. Learning by analyzing the syntax of working examples. You find
many examples in the internet, and also in my book:
http://www.astro-electronic.de/FFmpeg_Book.pdf

Michael