[FFmpeg-user] [Discussion] FPGA vs GPU for Live Transcoding

Christian David davidchristia at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 13:24:39 EET 2020

Em dom., 1 de mar. de 2020 às 06:45, Mark Filipak <
markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com> escreveu:

> On 03/01/2020 04:29 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> >> Am 01.03.2020 um 07:47 schrieb Christian David <davidchristia at gmail.com
> >:
> >>
> >> Hi everyone, i was reading about FPGA solutions against traditional
> >> solutions with GPUs (Nvidia at most times) for live video transcoding..
> >
> > I was under the impression that all GPU encoding happens on FPGA: Am I
> wrong?
>
> FPGA? Field programmable gate array?

Yes,  for example for nvidia hardware acceleration we use one of GPU cards
from nvidia to do all the job (encoding/decoding), so we can also use CPU
solutions with an accelerator card (FPGA) for example Alveo U200 from
Xilinx [1] that promises do the same with a lower latency and performance
[2].. so my doubt is if someone tried to go on this path and if it is
economically viable

[1]: https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/alveo/u200.html
[2]:
https://www.xilinx.com/publications/solution-briefs/adaptive-bitrate-transcoding-solution-brief.pdf