[FFmpeg-user] CPU and GPU

Dennis Mungai dmngaie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 00:28:53 EET 2020

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020, 19:55 Carl Eugen Hoyos, <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am So., 1. März 2020 um 14:11 Uhr schrieb Ted Park <kumowoon1025 at gmail.com
> >:
> >
> > > FFmpeg's videotoolbox implementation is missing ProRes support.
> >
> > Oh, I never noticed that. It shouldn’t be too difficult right?
>
> Hopefully not.
>
> > Though I’m guessing the decoder would be of limited use for the command
> line tools.
>
> Why?
>
> Carl Eugen
>

>From the context of his email, this mostly infers to any perceived
performance gain H/W accelerated decode brings to the table in an encoding
workload. It's not likely to be faster than a software based decoder, but
will do the same task without using any CPU cycles nonetheless.

Secondly, consider that (almost) zero filters in FFmpeg can take advantage
of videotoolbox (at the moment), so even with the command line tools,
chaining together workflows with complex filter chains that can take
advantage of H/W acceleration on Mac OSX would be limited to the OpenCL
(and Vulkan, now that we have a Vulkan HW Context in FFmpeg) based filters
only. Pumping up hwupload/hwdownload filters in these chains further slows
down things, often offsetting any performance benefit(s) such filters bring
to the workflow.

This is likely to change in the future if filters that can tap into
videotoolbox come into play.