[FFmpeg-user] CPU and GPU

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 11:57:23 EET 2020

On 03/02/2020 03:56 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am Mo., 2. März 2020 um 03:48 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:
>
>> So codec engineering companies like NGCodec, MainConcept, Beamr and
>> MulticoreWare turn open source-based, ffmpeg workflows into FPGAs that,
>> when mature firmware implementations, chip companies like Intel & NVIDIA
>> turn into real hardware: masked GPUs. Do I have that right?
>
> There may be a language barrier but to me this paragraph sounds at least
> extremely misleading, there is no indication whatsoever that any company
> ever "turn[ed an] ffmpeg workflow into" hardware.
>
> Given that we have a good (or friendly) relationship to some of these
> companies, I would kindly ask you to refrain from using this wording.
>
> Carl Eugen

What you think is important to me, Carl.

I used to work at Intel as a product line architect. I sat on 3
divisional planning councils, including graphics processors, and
co-chaired one. Later, I represented Wyse Technology in industry
technology standards, engineering working groups.

I outlined what appeared to me to be the direction of open source video
development: That what is developed using open source code is migrated
to FPGAs and hence to GPUs. I asked if I have it right (correct).

Of course, the ffmpeg crew works to exploit the capabilities that are
thereby created. This is all to be celebrated. What is it that you
object to? What in what I wrote is wrong or that industry chip providers
would find offensive?

Of course you have cordial relations with industry. I expect that open
source development is also financially supported by industry groups and
manufacturers. There's nothing wrong with that.

Comments?

Regards,
Mark.