[FFmpeg-user] more sound madness

Bouke / VideoToolShed bouke at videotoolshed.com
Sun Mar 8 11:30:53 EET 2020

> On 07 Mar 2020, at 18:05, Ted Park <kumowoon1025 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Hi Ted,
>> Sorry, I have no clue what you mean here, could you please elaborate?
> I am not sure if this is accessible with ffmpeg, but in the track header, usually only tracks with different alternate_group, or 0, can play at the same time.
>
>> Nope, moving the  does not make any difference.
>> Did you try this yourself? Does it work for you?
> I mean, yes, but it works either way. But the source I used was a single mxf with multiple tracks, I didn’t try multiple inputs or a bwf.

Hi Ted,
Did you try it in Premiere, and got all the channels? Or open the output in old QT pro, and look at the properties.
The last channels are disabled. If I enable them and save the file (destructive), a new MOOV atom is added and the current one is flagged as FREE.
Then Premiere will accept it as it ‘should’ be.
(Warning, Premiere has  a nasty habit to ‘remember’ files. Once it has seen a specific file, it will use the properties of the first import, even when you change it and re-import.)

>>> It shouldn’t matter if audio channels come before others.
>> trust me, it does matter. First input file gets the audio enabled, all other gets muted in metadata.
> Oh right… But I mean they don’t matter if your tracks aren’t randomly disabled. I still would have thought at least one would get chosen.
> When you say muted in metadata, do you literally mean they have their relative volume set to 0 per track?
> Either way, I’m pretty sure it is because some channels overlap between the two inputs, I think this filter is what is actually being attempted, give it a try.
> % ffmpeg -i /Volumes/Data/test/C0092.MP4 -i /Volumes/Data/test/068.WAV -filter_complex “[0:1]pan=1c|c0=c1[o1];[1:0]pan=1c|c0=c9[o2];[1:0]pan=1c|c0=c10[o3]” -map “[o1]" -map “[o2]" -map “[o3]"
> -c:a pcm_s24le -map 0:0 -c:v copy -shortest /Volumes/Data/test/last2muted.mov -y

This gives me exactly the same issue.

Now, I can live with all the sound channels in one track, only reason I’m pursuing this is that I can’t remap more than about 8 channels into a single poly track.
(See my post from a few days ago…)

Thanks,
Bouke