[FFmpeg-user] ff* command lines that work

Rob Hallam ffmpeg at roberthallam.com
Mon Mar 9 23:47:48 EET 2020

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 21:20, Mark Filipak <
markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Do you have a budget?
> Sure.

Assuming this isn't a mathematician's answer, you may
wish to disclose your budget if you want people to do
private work for you. With that information they
can decide if they wish to proceed.

> When the command lines are corrected, that
> status is rarely disclosed or acknowledged.

I submit that if you are content for people
on this ML to submit you 'working' commands,
you can be assured that commands sent to
other users do indeed work.

>>  how will people sending you thousands
>> of examples know they are being helpful?
> I will thank them.

My apologies for being unspecific. How will
they know in advance what they take time
to write, check and send will be useful to you,
and not a waste of their (and your) time?

...which relates to my next point...

> Are you serious?

Having read these emails I still do not
know what for you constitutes a 'working'
command.

It seems to me that if that command
completes, then -- the snark it conveys
notwithstanding -- it would serve
your analysis purposes.

If you have explained what a 'working'
command is, it has been buried somewhere
in the sea of responses and I have missed it,
apologies.

Since you introduced an analogy -- car parts
to Paris! -- which I enjoyed earlier I'll introduce
one of my own: you've asked us to go and gather
and send you hundreds-to-thousands of daisies. We
don't know why you want daisies, other than for
'analysis'. We point out that there's a lot written
about daisies online, from discussions about
daisies to some botanical journals. Or you can pick
daisies from fields nearby you. But for some reason
we cannot understand neither the descriptions, nor
the daisies near you suffice. We need to pick them
and send them to you, you assure us.

But we're not sure why and we want to know
more before we do but it takes a lot of
questions before you elaborate; so we're not sure
we want to go to the effort of picking daisies (so to
speak) before we agree that is the only way to
achieve what you want to achieve.

Analogies are like cheap diamonds: they look good
but they are often imperfect. I know mine is not
perfect. But since you've tried to illustrate your side
I hope this illustrates my understanding
of the issue. If not, I had fun writing it.

Cheers,
Rob