[FFmpeg-user] ff* command lines that work

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 09:57:21 EET 2020

On 03/10/2020 03:38 AM, Mick Finn wrote:
> I think you will find that you have to decipher ffmpeg cmd line yourself
> It is like Unix awk where the definition of the language does not help you that much - by trial and error you determine the actual behavior

Aw, it's a shame that that's the best advice.

> Also even if someone post hundreds of examples - you will find they work differently for you depending on version and input and slight variation in arguments / inputs.

I know that.

You know, people are pretty smart, especially anyone posting here.
People see patterns better than they understand explanations -- the more
patterns, the better. Programmers write so much explanatory text, much
of which is full of holes (poor documentation coverage), when examples
would better make the point.

> It will be much more meaningful if you do with your inputs - it probably sounds to people like you are asking for a understand ffmpeg by taking one pill - please make such a pill for me.
> Just being open

Collecting a couple hundred working command lines and then synthesizing
meaningful patterns is not easy, certainly not one pill. I understand
you, though. If you don't want to contribute, that's fine.

Regards.