[FFmpeg-user] What is the best way to keep ffmpeg up to date on ubuntu 18.04 (current LTS)?

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
Tue Mar 10 19:11:59 EET 2020

Am 10.03.20 um 17:10 schrieb bbb:
> Hi,
>
> I was using ffmpeg from official ubuntu-xenial repositories and was
> unable to convert a bunch of files with subtitles ("invalid, non
> monotonically increasing dts").
>
> Then I realised, that my ffmpeg was so very old, it did not include
> those two fixes:
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4450
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/6248
>
> When I checked out from git and build it myself everything worked fine.
>
> So I wonder: What is the best practice to keep ffmpeg up to date on an
> ubuntu 18.04 system? Is there another repo?
On Ubuntu 18.04 I use the static builds from here:
https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/
And install them as described here:
https://www.johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/faq/

But I practice a small deviation. Instead of copying the binaries to
/usr/local/bin/ I set two symlinks from there to the binaries, located
in my home dir.

-Ulf