[FFmpeg-user] What is the best way to keep ffmpeg up to date on ubuntu 18.04 (current LTS)?

bbb ffmpeg-user at bugblatterbeast.de
Tue Mar 10 19:55:57 EET 2020

On 10.03.20 18:08, Dennis Mungai wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 at 19:52, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>

>> Am 10.03.20 um 17:10 schrieb bbb:
>>> I was using ffmpeg from official ubuntu-xenial repositories and was
>>> unable to convert a bunch of files with subtitles ("invalid, non
>>> monotonically increasing dts").
>>>
>>> Then I realised, that my ffmpeg was so very old, it did not include
>>> those two fixes:
>>> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4450
>>> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/6248
>>>
>>> When I checked out from git and build it myself everything worked fine.
>>>
>>> So I wonder: What is the best practice to keep ffmpeg up to date on an
>>> ubuntu 18.04 system? Is there another repo?
>> i build ffmpeg from source for 12 years now on Fedora
>>
>> /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg has a static linked up-to-date libx264 and so
>> ffmpeg-libs in whatever version rpmfusion ships and lins other packages
>> with are untouched
>>
>> just learn to build packages and you are done
> Depending on your use case:
>
> (a). If you want a build with mostly free components, such as nvenc,
> etc, grab a snap installer from here: https://snapcraft.io/ffmpeg
>
> (b). If you need extras, its' always best to build from source. It can
> be tedious and even frustrating especially if you're not familiar with
> build systems, but the reward and return on investment is totally
> worth it.
>
> (c). For simple, static builds, you may also grab a copy from John Van
> Sickle: https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/
>
> On other platforms, your mileage will vary. For Windows, I've found
> great success with this build helper (needs a Linux VM or host to
> generate working builds):
> https://github.com/rdp/ffmpeg-windows-build-helpers
>
> Warm regards,
>
> Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

thanks for your reply.

Actually building from source was perfectly easy both on amd64 and
armhf. I didn't even bothered to read the documentation. Seems like a
very well configured git repository.

The John Van Sickle homepage looks very promising. It provides the
binaries and checksums I need, so it should be easy to create a cronjob
that keeps my ffmpeg up to date.

Best regards