[FFmpeg-user] Using convolution files with ffmpeg

Ran Perry ranperry at rogers.com
Wed Mar 25 16:05:14 EET 2020

 You can read more about it here:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/convolution-processing-impulse-responses
In essence, these are files that were made via a room correction application. You can look at them as digital equalization. When passed to ffmpeg, the audio output will reflect the change attribute in the convolution file. ffmpeg works with these type of file but the user requires to explicitly pass this information. What I am trying to do is to use these convolution files in a global setting without the need for the user to pass them manually each and every time.
Many solutions support this feature out of the box but they are not open source (even if they use ffmpeg).
I have uploaded convolution files to the following link for reference:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sU-GK4OxwR6cex9KXOqmWN2ZxiL4l8KW

Thanks,
Ran

    On Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 08:26:35 a.m. EDT, Ted Park <kumowoon1025 at gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi,

>> I currently use MPD (https://www.musicpd.org/) to play music. MPD can use
>> ffmpeg to decode the audio coming in (local or cloud). Since ffmpeg can
>> handle convolution files in wav format, I was looking for a way to "pass"
>> these files to ffmpeg. I would like to implement the following scenario:
>> 1. Have one convolution file per sampling rate (44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88,2kHz,
>> 96kHz, 176.4kHz and 192kHz)2. Store the convolution files locally to
>> ffmpeg3. When ffmpeg is used, it will use the convolution file that matches
>> with the incoming file's sampling rate
>> I want this to work as a global setting without the need to do it manually
>> for every audio file. I know that minimserver has implemented this but it is
>> a closed source project.
>> Any ideas?
>
> You will need to use FFmpeg audio convolution filter, afir.
> And write some kind of script for processing of all files.

What is a convolution file? When you get a venue with a weird frequency response and you come in before the sound check to record spectrum sweeps from the speakers with a figure 8 mic, the tool had a convolution function that would generate a model of the venue that served as a general starting point for mixing, is it something similar?

Regards,
Ted Park