[FFmpeg-user] What is a sponsor?

Lou Logan lou at lrcd.com
Thu Mar 26 21:41:33 EET 2020

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020, at 11:16 AM, Nomis101 wrote:
> In ticket 3595, I've learned, that a missing sponsor can hinder
> bringing in patches to FFmpeg [1]. But I still quite don't understand
> what a sponsor actually is. Because I don't want to spam the ticket
> with my non-developer question, I thought it might be better to ask in
> the mailinglist. What makes a sponsor so important to fix a ticket?
> How to find a sponsor for a ticket? And, what people can become a
> sponsor? Thanks.
>
> [1] https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/3595#comment:15

A sponsor is simply a person or organization willing to fund development
of a feature or big fix that interests them. Anyone can be a sponsor.

A ticket does not need a sponsor, and the vast majority do not get
sponsored, but it may provide the initiative or motivation for it to get
implemented.

We have no official, standard process for sponsorship, but you can
mention that you are willing to be a sponsor in a comment in a bug
report/feature request on the bug tracker. The rest is up to you and any
interested developer(s).