[FFmpeg-user] Copy all subtitle streams? Possible?

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 08:52:58 EEST 2020

Thanks, Gyan!

On 03/30/2020 01:17 AM, Gyan Doshi wrote:

> On 30-03-2020 10:32 am, Mark Filipak wrote:
>> '-c:a copy' or '-acodec copy' will copy (all?) audio tracks. I have 2 questions:
>> Do I need to also specify a '-map' directive? and
>> Is there an equivalent directive for copying subtitle streams?
>
>      -c:s copy  or  -scodec copy will copy subtitle streams.

Oh, that's great! Thanks.

> For stream selection and mapping or lack of, see http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#Stream-selection

Ah! "Stream-selection"! Silly me. I looked for '-map'.

"ffmpeg provides the -map option for manual control of stream selection in each output file. Users
can skip -map and let ffmpeg perform automatic stream selection as described below. The -vn / -an /
-sn / -dn options can be used to skip inclusion of video, audio, subtitle and data streams
respectively, whether manually mapped or automatically selected, except for those streams which are
outputs of complex filtergraphs."

This is great. Just the other day I searched in vain for a way to skip video so I could copy just
the audio streams to merge in with a video I'd transcoded earlier. Well: '-vn', there it is.

Thanks Again.