[FFmpeg-user] Gnutls fails on macos catalina

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Thu May 21 22:37:43 EEST 2020

Am Do., 21. Mai 2020 um 18:59 Uhr schrieb gga <ggarra13 at gmail.com>:

> On 21/5/20 07:07, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Am Do., 21. Mai 2020 um 05:19 Uhr schrieb Gonzalo Garramuno
> > <ggarra13 at gmail.com>:
> >
> >> ERROR: gnutls not found using pkg-config
> > gnutls without pkg-config works here with:
> > --pkg-config=true --extra-libs=-lgnutls

> > (You might have to disable cuda explicitly, I plan to
> > fix this ugly bug.)

(The work-around is to pass --disable-ffnvcodec, this
may be impossible to avoid with --pkg-config=true on
some systems)

> Thanks, Carl.  That works.  However, isn't the purpose of pkg-config to
> avoid remembering all the libs and ldpaths that need to be passed on the
> command-line?  Right now, I am having to pass --extra-libs to most
> libraries on MacOSX Catalina in order to compile.

That's because most of the operating systems supported by FFmpeg
do not support pkg-config (by default) - because most existing
operating systems and toolchains do not support pkg-config by
default. I consider this a major issue of our build system but others
disagree.

Carl Eugen