[FFmpeg-user] question about fps filter

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue May 26 09:27:17 EEST 2020

Hi Andy,

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 20:43:03 -0400, Andy Sheimo wrote:
> How can I check if this version contains the changes you reference?
> > ffmpeg.exe -version
> > ffmpeg version N-97877-g1e8ed181e3-ffmpeg-windows-build-helpers Copyright (c) 2000-2020 the FFmpeg developers

Simply speaking, by checking which git commit that version was built
from. The so-called hash of the git commit is the hexadecimal part
after the 'g' in the version:
1e8ed181e3
(or rather, a shortened version of the hash - but it doesn't matter
here).

> >> What version of ffmpeg are you using?
> >> There have been recent updates to the NVENC encoder's implementation in
> >> ffmpeg that better handle frame rate, such as this commit:
> >>
> >> https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/commit/b18fd2b95b2fea10f0b5381333a1b4c032f010bc
> >> Use the latest build and retest.

If you replace the base part of this URL with said hash, as such:
https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/commit/1e8ed181e3
you will see the corresponding commit, and that you are using a build
which includes something committed on Fri, 22 May 2020, while Dennis's
link referenced a change made on Fri, 15 May 2020. So what you are
using includes what Dennis pointed out.

(In reality, it may be more complicated, because git isn't guaranteed
to be linear, but this method suffices for checking how current a build
is.)

Cheers,
Moritz