[FFmpeg-user] A comment about this community (was: RE: sudo:ffmpeg: command not found)

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Mon Nov 2 12:02:20 EET 2020

On 01/11/2020 22.33, Phil Rhodes via ffmpeg-user wrote:
>   Hi Marc
> I can only reiterate the regrets you've already received and assure you it was ever thus and it's not your fault.
> For the benefit of any new people or anyone who reads this thread in future, ffmpeg is for every practical purpose a Linux-community project. The Linux community is notorious for its incredible intolerance and inexcusable rudeness. It is common, even normal, on this mailing list. I have been hugely dismayed by this situation for many years but I'm not convinced there's much that can be done about it; it happens with the tacit approval, even the encouragement, of the people who run the project and there is no mechanism to correct it. Look at Linus Torvalds' own reputation; that's the role model. They think that's good. They actually believe it's appropriate professional behaviour; that's the kind of people you're dealing with.

Huh.

No, this is not normal Linux community behaviour. Maybe it is normal
here, but it is not normal in the channels where I participate, and I do
a lot of support for new (or not) users. On some of the channels a rude
person is expelled by the moderators.

Linus Torvalds maybe rude - I don't know, I don't participate where he
is, but like many I have seen his explosions when they hit the fan - but
that's an inner circle, not a support channel.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from Leap 15.1 x86_64 at Telcontar)