[FFmpeg-user] Directly converting DNGs to MP4

ZEITFELD martin.hoppe at zeit-feld.de
Sun Nov 8 19:12:37 EET 2020

Hello nice girls ans guys!

I have a highspeed camera that records raw data to DNG files. Now I try
to have the fastest possible preview video of what is recorded. I
succeeded using the GPU via FFMPEG, which is absolutely the fastest way
I found until now.

This is the command line I use:

FFMPEG -R 25 -F IMAGE2 -I FRAME_%06D.DNG -VCODEC LIBX264 -CRF 25
-PIX_FMT YUV420P PREVIEW.MP4

This gives me a MP4, but the colors are broken, the image is too dark
and green and the quality is very bad, with a lot of banding and
artifacts.

Does anyone know how to make ffmpeg apply reasonably balanced settings
when reading the DNGs?

Thanks a lot! Martin