[FFmpeg-user] Reduce ffmpeg response

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Sun Nov 8 22:40:00 EET 2020

On 2020-11-08 08:42, Jeff England wrote:

> …Developing code in a Linux / Python environment, using Pydub and ffmpeg to
> play .mp3 sound.
> I would like to "quiet" the response from ffmpeg.  I've found a number of
> posts along the lines of
> ffmpeg -hide_banner -loglevel panic.  I'm having difficulty knowing exactly
> where to place
> the ffmpeg -hide_banner -loglevel panic (or the like) command.  I've tried
> it following the
> import AudioSegment
> from pydub.playback statement and in the programming where the sound is
> actually called.
>
> Any thoughts or guidance is appreciated.

Hello, Jeff, and welcome to the FFmpeg users list. You ask an
interesting question.

It sounds like you are using the Python module Pydub[1] to do audio
editing. Pydub offers an API of audio editing actions, it uses Python
code for the logic to convert those editing actions into calls to FFmpeg
or libav, and it can call FFmpeg behind the scenes to actually
manipulate the audio data. It sounds like the FFmpeg invocations
generate more text on its stdout than you want, and you want to reduce
the amount of text which FFmpeg puts to its stdout.

I don't know Pydub, but I do know Python and FFmepg, and I have written
Python code which calls FFmpeg behind the scenes to actually manipulate
the video data.

An important thing to bear in mind is that Pydub exists in a Python
environment, and FFmpeg exists outside that environment. You need to be
clear what is happening in which environment.

In reading the Pydub API docs[2], I see no way to manipulate FFmpeg
directly. The AudioSegment(…).export() call[3] does have a `parameters`
keyword argument, which is a list of options for Pydub to include in the
FFmpeg invocation. The docs says, "These are added to the end of the
call (in the output file section)." It doesn't say there is a way to put
those parameters somewhere else. I don't see any other places in the API
which lets the caller send parameters to the FFmpeg invocation. And of
course, the Pydub API docs might not be complete.

So, the first question is, which Pydub API call are you using?

Second, in what way do you see the FFmpeg output to its stdout? Does
Pydub return this to you?  I don't see a mention of this in the API
docs. You should describe how you are calling Pydub, and what results
you see, and what results you would like to see.

Third, be aware that Pydub might not give you the control you are after.

Fourth, be aware that Pydub is a bit off-topic for this list. Anything
about Pydub and the way it creates an invocation of FFmpeg are
off-topic. Questions you can phrase in terms of a command-line
invocation of FFmpeg are where you start to be on-topic for this list.
Nevertheless, you might still get a bit of help with the Pydub and
Python parts of your situation.

[1] http://pydub.com/

[2] https://github.com/jiaaro/pydub/blob/master/API.markdown

[3]
https://github.com/jiaaro/pydub/blob/master/API.markdown#audiosegmentexport

Hope this helps,
      —Jim DeLaHunt, software engineer, Vancouver, Canada