[FFmpeg-user] DV to bob deinterlaced HEVC

Matti Haveri matti.haveri at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 10:34:49 EET 2020

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 11:39 PM Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I guess it is better to deinterlace first, then scale?
>
> This is correct.

I tested to scale & crop first, and then deinterlace, and to my surprise
the output was identical.
Maybe because only horizontal scaling was done.

These are home DV movies shot with an unnEUterized Sony TRV320E and old VHS
digitized
with it. Several years ago I converted them all to deinterlaced H.264 with
simple deinterlace.
That quality is OK but I plan to re-encode those archived .dv files again
with bob deinterlace
as H.265 with smoother motion and slightly better quality with about the
same or little larger
file size.

Some noisy DV scenes need CRF below 22. I tried to search noise reduction
filters but
maybe I just use CRF 18-20 for all material. The old VHS footage compresses
well with
bitrate automatically adjusted quite low with CRF 18 and even CRF 24 is OK
with it.

- Matti