[FFmpeg-user] Histogram variance of an image

Mar Andrés López mar.andres.l at gmv.com
Fri Nov 20 13:36:02 EET 2020

Dear All,

I would like to extract the first frame of a video that contains some 'information', I do not want just one color frames (White,red, black…).

In order to achieve that the histogram variance calculation of an image could be a Good starting point. I would like that the variance is low so I guess I would have an image from the video with low difference between its pixels.

(Not al pixels White).

Is that posible to achieve that with ffmpeg or ffprobe?, what I found at the moment is that i can print the histogram with:

ffplay -i input -vf histogram

A lot of thanks,