[FFmpeg-user] Glossary: Nyquist

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Thu Oct 1 18:05:42 EEST 2020

On 10/01/2020 10:38 AM, Eduardo Alarcón wrote:
> Mostly the noun/adjective part, the part [1] about SD media and mastering,
> seems to be anecdotal information more than a definition of what is the
> Nyquist principle, you say that the images are undersampled, but what does
> it mean? what is the impact, the images look blurry?, may be you defined
> "undersampling" in other part

Thanks for your thoughts. They're important. Yes, I could write more. And, Yes, the note is
anecdotal. I felt that the note introduces the idea that something can be undersampled and with a
concrete example of something that is undersampled so that the concept becomes 'real'. Can you
suggest better wording? I'd like to see it.

Regarding what undersampling means, it's a common term that can be looked up in a general dictionary
rather than a dedicated glossary. That's just my opinion of course. Where do you think the line
should be drawn?

--
What if you woke up and found yourself in a police state?
African-Americans wake up in a police state every day.