[FFmpeg-user] Glossary: d-NTSC & d-PAL

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Thu Oct 1 21:54:42 EEST 2020

On 10/01/2020 02:01 PM, Phil Rhodes via ffmpeg-user wrote:
>   I don't know who's in charge of this glossary project, but can I please propose something on the difference between colourspace, subsampling and luminance encoding. And all the other things people constantly confuse.

No one's in charge. I've taken the initiative to begin (and conduct and finish and whatever it
takes) the effort [1]. Based on the evidence, I'm not alone, but no one's in charge.

Regarding your concerns, Phil, I believe I have a lock on subsampling & luminance encoding (or, at
least, the structures, but not the processes) and I would post glossary entries if I could, but
they're very large and have large texie pix diagrams and are formatted to 148 columns of text and
therefore don't fit into email format, and I would probably incur the ire of the list maintainers if
I were to attach such large files. Sorry,

Regarding colorspace, such documentation exists, at least in name -- literally, names only to the
best of my knowledge -- but the details of the data structures are, at best: buried in code
algorithms without explicit structural documentation, or, at worst: completely lacking and subject
to trial-and-error hacking, even by the developers.

[1] There are 3 ways to take leadership: #1, be appointed by some authority, or #2, be elected by
some constituency, or #3, start leading. I have tried #1 and #2 and have not been successful due to
wrangling, so I am pursuing route #3. If that rankles some folks, the fault is entirely mine.

--
What if you woke up and found yourself in a police state?
African-Americans wake up in a police state every day.