[FFmpeg-user] Glossary: Nyquist

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Sun Oct 4 00:50:14 EEST 2020

On 10/03/2020 05:12 PM, Michael Koch wrote:
> Am 03.10.2020 um 22:43 schrieb Mark Filipak (ffmpeg):
>> On 10/03/2020 02:05 PM, Anatoly wrote:
>>> On Sat, 3 Oct 2020 11:05:03 -0400
>> -snip-
>>> You should learn than what spectrum is.
>>
>> Oh, please. Be easy with me. I'm just a simple electrical engineer.
>>
>>> And how any complex waveform
>>> (with it's "information density") may be represented as a sum of many
>>> simple sinewaves.
>>
>> Ah, now that would be a Taylor series, no?
>
> Joseph Fourier just turned around in his grave...

Is Nyquist a consequent of Fourier or Taylor?

The factor in spacial resolution is not sampling frequency or whether the sampling clock is a square
wave or any particular wave. It's geometric. It's the geometry of the energy that reaches the eye
and the eye's response (rods & cones). I think the issue is one of gaussian response, an issue of slope.

The gaussian rules the world of analog to digital conversion just as it rules the world of particle
interactions. I don't see Fourier as applying to that.

--
What if you woke up and found yourself in a police state?
African-Americans wake up in a police state every day.