[FFmpeg-user] Correct conversion of yuvj420p?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue Oct 13 23:31:47 EEST 2020

On 10.10.20 15:15, Mark Himsley wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 14:28, Tobias Rapp <t.rapp at noa-archive.com> wrote:
>> ffmpeg -i $INPUT ... -pix_fmt +yuv420p \
>>    -filter:v "format=pix_fmts=yuv420p,setrange=full,..."

@Tobias:
This is an interesting syntax. I haven't used that filter option before.
Thanks for the tip!

> Be careful with that if you have any interlaced material.
> The `format` filter will force the inclusion of a `scale` filter before it.
> Unless it's changed recently and I've missed it, the scale filter will
> not be interlaced aware, so you might end up blurring the colours for
> the two fields in each frame.

@Mark:
And thank you very much for pointing this out!
If that is the case, then indeed that's a problem, because I definitely
deal with interlaced material - and even better: all cases mixed! :)
(progressive, tff, bff, and-whatever-else-someone-has-produced)

Kind regards,
Peter