[FFmpeg-user] Unable to play or import video files in an app that uses ffmpeg

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Mon Sep 7 23:42:26 EEST 2020

On 2020-09-07 10:19, Tim Stiles wrote:

> Hello!
>
> This is my first time posting a help question, hopefully I'm doing
> it correctly.

Welcome to the ffmpeg-user list. I'm sorry to hear that you are
encountering obstacles. I'm not the world expert on FFmpeg, but I know a
little.

> Background: There is a Windows app called Pinball Browser. It is used to
> make video and audio updates to .RAW pinball machine firmwares.… [snip]
> Issue: For me specifically on my Windows 10 PC, these video playback and
> import features do not work. When I select a video to play, nothing happens
> (the app is supposed to have an inner window that displays the playback but
> that is non-existent when I hit play). When I import I get some nasty
> exceptions (See screenshots attached.…

OK, first question: where does FFmpeg come in to the problem? You report
that the app you are running, Pinball Browser, seems to use use FFmpeg.
However, I don't see a mention of FFmpeg in any of the error messages
you are showing.

People on this list can be more helpful if you start with a problem
description which consists of running FFmpeg by itself from the command
line, when you include the complete, uncut command line and all of the
FFmpeg output. That isn't what you have supplied, so I suspect that will
limit the help you get here.

Second question: Have you taken this problem to the support for Pinball
Browser?  What do they have to say about it?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Best regards,
       —Jim DeLaHunt