[FFmpeg-user] Unable to play or import video files in an app that uses ffmpeg

Tim Stiles tim.stiles79 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 00:32:19 EEST 2020

Thanks guys. I totally get your points about whether this is actually an
ffmpeg issue or not. I say that it is because these are the only features
of the app that are failing -- the ones that use ffmpeg.exe and
ffprobe.exe. I was able to get sysmon running and I could at least see that
when I hit the Play button in the app, ffprobe.exe is leveraged but no
video plays (this is not the step that leads to one of those errors, it's
the 3rd issue about playback within the Pinball Browser App).

Is it bad that, for ffprobe.exe a ProcessCreate event occurs, then and a
ProcessTerminate follows just milliseconds after? This is simply me
selecting a video and clicking Play.in the Pinball Browser app.
I see no errors in sysmon I just see these informational events:

-------------------------
ProcessCreate

EventData

RuleName -
UtcTime 2020-09-07 18:06:34.366
ProcessGuid {9094b94b-76aa-5f56-3b05-000000001c00}
ProcessId 3832
Image C:\Windows\System32\conhost.exe
FileVersion 10.0.19041.153 (WinBuild.160101.0800)
Description Console Window Host
Product Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company Microsoft Corporation
OriginalFileName CONHOST.EXE
CommandLine \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\conhost.exe 0xffffffff -ForceV1
CurrentDirectory C:\WINDOWS
User DESKTOP-60KTN20\My Name
LogonGuid {9094b94b-54e4-5f56-1ccf-480000000000}
LogonId 0x48cf1c
TerminalSessionId 2
IntegrityLevel High
Hashes SHA1=578C53A7A785A7238272E28C53684FB51995E663
ParentProcessGuid {9094b94b-76aa-5f56-3a05-000000001c00}
ParentProcessId 9048
ParentImage C:\PB_short_path_test\PinballBrowser756\ffprobe.exe
ParentCommandLine "C:\PB_short_path_test\PinballBrowser756\ffprobe.exe" -v
error -show_format -show_streams -print_format xml C:\Users\My
Name\AppData\Local\Temp\pbi2.mp4

Then the next event is immediately...

------------------
ProcessTerminate

EventData

RuleName -
UtcTime 2020-09-07 18:06:34.425
ProcessGuid {9094b94b-76aa-5f56-3a05-000000001c00}
ProcessId 9048
Image C:\PB_short_path_test\PinballBrowser756\ffprobe.exe
-------------------

I have reached out to the developer and have done everything he's
recommended. For some reason he cannot tell me what's going on, he just
keeps saying it's probably a problem with ffmpeg on my machine. I will push
him to look closer at the exceptions that seem to not be ffmpeg related.

Maybe you guys can still help though? Could you please let me know what
command line I could run just to see if ffmpeg.exe or ffprobe.exe are
working as expected? I can tell you that I have ffplay.exe too (dev says
the app doesn't use that) and I can successfully launch any given .mp4 or
my machine via running ffplay.exe agains the file in my command prompt. I
don't know how to test the other two .exe's. Thank YOU!!