[FFmpeg-user] Pixel format: default and filter?

Edward Park kumowoon1025 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 14:06:56 EEST 2020

Hi,

> ffprobe now reports out.mov being yuv420p. Is this an implicit conversion to a lower bit depth?

It's just the default output format for overlay. It's commonly used for stuff across colorspaces (like yuv420p video and argb png logos overlaid) especially with alpha.

You can set format option in the filter itself to force output format. I assume it doesn't do any conversions when you overlay two sources with same format with no alpha internally.

Regards,
Ted Park