[FFmpeg-user] rav1e encoding only using one core

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.software
Mon Sep 14 10:50:28 EEST 2020

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 3:48 PM Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am Fr., 11. Sept. 2020 um 15:48 Uhr schrieb Robert Krüger
> <krueger at lesspain.software>:
>
> > I'm playing around with rav1e and noticed in my first test that only one
> > core is used of the 8 (16 virtual) I have. I tried with and without
> > -threads setting. Since most other codecs behave this way I was expecting
> > it to use as many cores as possible if not constrained by the command
> line.
>
> Your question sounds as if you tested the rav1e command line utility
> and it was able to use more than one thread.
> Did you?

No, and I should do that. I tested libaom-av1, found its speed far too slow
to be usable, then read that rav1 had been developed exactly to provide a
faster encoder for real-world use and assumed that multithreading must be a
part of it, because without it, it seems to be just as unusable as
libaom-av1 for many practical use cases.

Robert