[FFmpeg-user] Transcoding mpeg2video in mpegts to h264 in mpegts has fast playback

Patrick Double pat at patdouble.com
Mon Sep 21 17:02:58 EEST 2020

> On Sep 20, 2020, at 11:23 AM, Zak Fallows <zakf at mit.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello Pat,
>
> Please don't take this the wrong way, I am a very curious person and your emails confused me. The first one caught my attention because the subject isn't a question, it is a statement, it says it "has fast playback", so I was wondering "is this a question, or is this person sharing a tip or trick?"

Sorry for the confusion, it’s a statement of something I don’t like :) Namely, the transcode plays faster than it should. I should’ve been more clear.

> With that disclaimer out of the way...
>
> Is your name really Pat B. Double, or is the surname "Double" to imply that this is a second identity?

This is my real name. I’ve had the spelling and pronunciation questioned, but never the legitimacy. No worries ;)

> Is the BibleThumper app for PalmOS a joke? I looked at the PDF manual, it looks like a joke. But it claims to be from 2010 and I never had a Palm Pilot. I feel like it might be a joke because your name is Pat B. Double and the files were .PBD files, which could be "PalmOS Binary Data" or something, but that's also just your initials if Pat B. Double is your name.

It’s no joke. It was popular at the time but with the release of the iPhone I would have had to re-write it to keep it going and I didn’t have the time. .PBD is the required extension for PalmOS Binary Database.

> I have never seen any portion of "The Six Million Dollar Man", it looks interesting. How old are you? I'm 33, it may have been before my time, but maybe I could watch it with my father to appease him.

I’m 44. If you don’t mind cheesy effects I think it’s a pretty good show for the genre.

> You also talked about a Plex DVR - is that software, like Plex itself, or a hardware device? I'm looking for a project to do with my father, and we don't have Plex, and the network-accessible-storage drive has tons of permissions problems and "discoverability" problems. I hear good things about Plex.

Plex DVR is a software solution. It’s part of the Plex install, not a separate item. You need a compatible TV tuner in your computer.