[FFmpeg-user] VP8 encoding performances

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Fri Sep 25 18:08:14 EEST 2020

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 06:15:07PM +0200, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> While FFmpeg is not responsible for vp8 encoding performance,
> I would still strongly recommend that you recompile or download
> a saner binary: Yours is so massively broken that the decoding
> speed is probably very slow.
> I should add that a default configuration (without any options)
> leads to nearly the highest possible speed.
>
> (Disclaimer: vp8 encoding is typically slow but if libvpx is compiled
> like FFmpeg above the speed can certainly be improved)

I have rebuilt ffmpeg with ./configure --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libvorbis --mandir=/usr/pkg/man --prefix=/usr/pkg --progs-suffix=4 --datadir=/usr/pkg/share/ffmpeg4 --docdir=/usr/pkg/share/doc/ffmpeg4 --incdir=/usr/pkg/include/ffmpeg4 --libdir=/usr/pkg/lib/ffmpeg4 --shlibdir=/usr/pkg/lib/ffmpeg4 --arch=native

And libvpx with ./configure --enable-pic --prefix=/usr/pkg --cpu=native

It is now twice faster. This is nice, but can it do better? Is GPU
support likely to help?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu at netbsd.org