[FFmpeg-user] AVFrame, AV_NUM_DATA_POINTERS

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Sun Sep 27 19:10:52 EEST 2020

 From https://www.ffmpeg.org/doxygen/trunk/frame_8h_source.html#l00309
typedef struct AVFrame {
#define AV_NUM_DATA_POINTERS 8
/**
* pointer to the picture/channel planes.
* This might be different from the first allocated byte
*
* Some decoders access areas outside 0,0 - width,height...

1, Are samples & lines actually indexed from zero? I ask because, if so, then shouldn't the extents
should be 0,0 - (width-1),(height-1)? -- the descrepancy makes me unsure how to interpret what I read.
2, Are the width & height indexes in bytes or samples? If bytes, how are 8-bit v. 10-bit v. 12-bit
pixel formats handled at the index generation end?

Thanks!

--
The U.S. political problem? Amateurs are doing the street fighting.
The Princeps Senatus and the Tribunus Plebis need their own armies.