[FFmpeg-user] Guide to denoise VHS videos

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Sun Apr 11 21:46:09 EEST 2021

On 4/11/2021 3:10 AM, Ulf Zibis wrote:

> does anyone know a good guide how to denoise mpeg2 videos, which come from
> VHS videos, recorded with DVD-recorder?

I assume you're stuck with the captures you already have, yes? (Most of the
issues come from the analog world and ought to be fixed there- a TBC on the
playback deck output, capturing YC outputs if available instead of
composite, cleaning the playback heads :), etc.)

One thing that can help is covering any head-switching noise at the top or
bottom of the frame that with a black bar before re-encoding; sure, you'll
lose a couple of lines, but they're garbage anyway and can confuse the
encoder. Might mask a px or two on the L/R edges of the frame, too.

Later,

z!