[FFmpeg-user] Preserving PAL 720x576 resolution

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 00:42:42 EEST 2021

Am Mo., 12. Apr. 2021 um 23:38 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak (ffmpeg)
<markfilipak at bog.us>:

> On 2021-04-12 06:40, Matthew Yang wrote:
> > Hello all
> >
> > I was trying to extract a 5-minute segment of a video, keeping the same
> > settings using the following command
> >
> > ffmpeg -ss 00:00:00 -i "input.mxf" -c copy -t 00:05:00 output.mxf
> >
> > However the 'resolution' and 'scan type' of the output differs from the
> > original.
> >
> > Video (ORIGINAL)
> > ID                                       : 2
> > Format                                   : JPEG 2000
> > Format profile                           : No restrictions
> > Format settings, wrapping mode           : Frame
> > Codec ID                                 : 0D010301020C0100-0401020203010100
> > Duration                                 : 1 h 32 min
> > Bit rate                                 : 90.0 Mb/s
> > Width                                    : 720 pixels
> > Height                                   : 576 pixels
> > Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
> > Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
> > Standard                                 : PAL
> > Color space                              : YUV
> > Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2
> > Bit depth                                : 10 bits
> > Scan type                                : Interlaced
> > Scan order                               : Top Field First
> > Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 8.680
> > Stream size                              : 58.1 GiB (95%)
> > Title                                    : Picture
> >
> > Video (OUTPUT)
> > ID                                       : 2
> > Format                                   : JPEG 2000
> > Format profile                           : No restrictions
> > Format settings, wrapping mode           : Frame
> > Codec ID                                 : 0D010301020C0100-0401020203010100
> > Duration                                 : 5 min 0 s
> > Bit rate                                 : 58.6 Mb/s
> > Width                                    : 720 pixels
> > Height                                   : 288 pixels
> > Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
> > Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
> > Color space                              : YUV
> > Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2
> > Bit depth                                : 10 bits
> > Scan type                                : Progressive
> > Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 11.308
> > Stream size                              : 2.05 GiB (96%)
> >
> > How do I retain the same settings in my output file? TIA.
> >
> > Matthew
>
> Hello Matthew,
>
> Do you want to preserve the interlaced character in the 5 minute segment?
> Do you understand what that means? Do you understand that interlaced is
> essentially analog TV?

Since you ask twice (and since Matthew didn't mention "interlaced" and my
guess may absolutely wrong and since I strongly suspect you have little
knowledge about interlaced j2k):
Matthew works professionally in digital archiving and I strongly suspect
he does know "what it means".

> I suggest you combine the 288 line fields to form normal 576 line frames

This suggestion would of course make much more sense if you
knew what you are talking about.

> and then decomb (aka "deinterlace") them.

But you have no idea.

Carl Eugen